Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Advocacy



I have been involved in the Victim's Rights field for over 10 years. Fashion, furnishing and philanthropy are my passions. The mission for my shop is to not only sell pretty old things & funky new designs by new and upcoming designers but to provide an inspiring and empowering environment for my fellow girlfriends.
I hope to accomplish this through raising awareness of issues that affect all of us--specifically domestic violence and sexual assault. This is an issue that affects each and everyone of us whether directly or indirectly. We all have grandmothers, mothers, sisters, daughters, girlfriends (not to forget the boys in our lives) that have or will have been touched by domestic violence or sexual assault in some way. These are hidden crimes that affect people from all walks of life. You don't know how many women I have gotten to know over the past year in my shop who have opened up and shared their own stories of abuse. It is so prevalent.

I feel this is how I can give back to the community and give a voice to victims. I am not trying to preach to anyone --just raise awareness--because knowledge is the ultimate power!
April 13th-19th is National Crime Victim's Awareness Week.

In my shop I will be selling purple domestic violence bracelets for $3.00 each with 100% of the proceeds going to http://www.g-s-j.org/rttv.htm.
Here are some other ways to get involved:

1) donate bath and body goods and gently worn clothing to local domestic violence shelters

2) shop owners--you can donate damaged or out of season inventory to local shelters --we have all over bought or bought a dud now and then for the store --and it's a tax right off--Yippee!!!

3) volunteer with a local non-profit or volunteer as a court companion to victims seeking protective/restraining orders

Good places to find information on how to get involved




in Maryland:




Speak up for all the girlfriends out in the world who have lost their voices!


No comments: